- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 9 whole lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms, minced
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Parsley, chopped for sprinkling on top (optional)
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the softened onions, then stir to combine, cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk the chicken broth and milk into the onion and flour mixture, then stir constantly until the sauce simmers and thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and fennel seed, then remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray so they don't stick.
- In the same pot, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes until wilted. Drain in a colander, squeezing out as much excess water as possible.
- In a large pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat, then combine the ground chicken and mushrooms and brown together until the chicken is cooked through. Drain off any liquid.
- To assemble, spread 1/4 of the sauce on the bottom of a large 9x13-inch baking dish. Lay 3 of the cooked lasagna noodles on top. Layer on 1/2 of the chicken & mushroom mixture, then spread 1/2 of the wilted spinach on top. Dollop with half of the ricotta cheese, then spread with another 1/4 of the sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat layers by first arranging 3 more of the lasagna noodles over the first layer, then topping with the remaining chicken & mushroom mixture, spinach, ricotta cheese, and another 1/4 of the sauce and 1/3 of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Finish the lasagna by arranging the last three noodles on top, then spread with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the last of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes until hot and bubbly, finishing under the broiler just to add a little color to the top, but being careful not to burn the cheese. Let the lasagna stand for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
full read at here